IRC Challenge

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SemidiosVerdugos

SemidiosVerdugos
  • Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:39 PM

Alright people listen up. IRC has been kinda quiet lately, so in an effort to get more people online and involved I am thinking we should do a challenge, so I am collecting ideas for one. This could be something collective, we are all working towards one goal, or an individual challenge where we are all trying to finish it first. Doesn't have to be programming, could just be something simple, like who can find the funniest website in 10 minutes or something. If we get enough ideas we could doing like one challenge a week.. or some challenges may have set days and times. like the website idea. so here are mine so far. Please post ideas, and get on IRC to discuss them..

-- Semidios

1. Everyone has 10 min to find the funniest website.
2. Flash game challenges, we all play the same one for a set time period and see who scores the best.
Si vis pacem, para bellum - If you want peace, prepare for the war.

#2 jego

jego
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:17 PM

Would that in any way be controlled by a bot?

and with the funniest website... that would be sort of hard because who decides who won... plus people could search all day in advance for that.

Also I just found that
http://darkbot.sourceforge.net/21/index.html

Looks like fun.

#3 Oktane

Oktane
  • Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:57 PM

We could start a team and hack a box at RootThisBox.org

I would love to do this kinda like a team effort wargame!

Edited by Oktane, 02 April 2008 - 02:58 PM.

LET'S TOAST THE RICH... WITH OUR CHOICE OF COCKTAIL!

#4 Macpunk

Macpunk
  • Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:23 PM

I'm down for a wargame effort. That'd be fun. But remember that not all people at TSF are about security. Still think that'd be fun for everyone involved though. :-D

jego: OPS. The ops would decide. Or whoever made the challenge. That'd cause people to get to know each other(or at least each other's sense of humor) better in order to win. Chefninja likes to program, so he'd prolly like a programming funny. Still doesn't make it a winner. Or they could be put up for a vote.

Love the ideas thus far. I think that making a bot for TSF caused a lot of action on #UGM. Maybe we could have an ongoing collaborative bot in a language of the community's choice. OOH OOH OOH OOH OOH. Just thought of somethin'. Maybe we could have bots battle each other in certain games. We could have bots play TTT over the channel.

We could have people give lectures!

We could have a Core Wars competition! Or somethin'.

Some ideas. ;-)

--Macpunk

#5 Dark_Lotus

Dark_Lotus

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:34 PM

I'd be up for a wargame.

#6 Oktane

Oktane
  • Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE(Dark_Lotus @ Apr 2 2008, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd be up for a wargame.

Should we start a sign up!!!

#7 SemidiosVerdugos

SemidiosVerdugos
  • Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 10:43 PM

A wargame would be a good one. Especially if some of the more knowledgeble people are there, actually explaining how to do it. Not sure how we would do it though, unless we designate one person to be doing it, and the rest of us are "helping". The ideal situation in my mind would be for everyone to be able to view what that person is doing, like through VNC so everyone can see what is happening and the results of thier suggestions. Or everyone connecting to the "target" and doing the commands so that they can see it first hand. Again your feedback is appreciated.

As for the "funny website". Not really sure if that one will actually happen, it was more of an idea point for everyone to start off of. However, if people do want that sort of thing, it can be done. To avoid people looking them up for the whole day ahead of time, I would think it would be best to make it at a random time. One of those, gee look at all people being active, hey everyone find a funny website in the next ten min or something like that.

A long term programing co-op could be neat. Not sure what we could do. It could be a bot, but we would run into issues of where to host it, and making sure everyone has access to the files. I think something that could work, is something pretty simple, like making an IRC client. I know some members have already made their own at one time or another, but it could be pretty cool if we managed to make a #UGM irc client. If we make it worth while it could possibly be hosted on MacShadows but I would have to see if those in charge would want to do that. Either way we could host it somewhere for people to use. We would of course have to agree on a language. Something simple so even people not into programming could join in and not feel intimidated by the language.

Keep up the ideas people.

--Semidios
Si vis pacem, para bellum - If you want peace, prepare for the war.

#8 Oktane

Oktane
  • Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:04 PM

If you check out RootThisBox.org you actually create a team with multiple members, their could be more then one team from TSF competing it really doesn't matter!

I think each team gets their own box? you should check out the site

#9 Wawl

Wawl
  • Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:12 AM

I'd be happy to do a wargame ! (even though I might not be the best help…)
This is an awesome idea !

#10 Oktane

Oktane
  • Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 04:15 PM

Emphasis on TEAMWORK I guess, use the abilities of each individual in the whole group!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users