• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 MacJunky

MacJunky
  • Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 11:55 PM

QUOTE(hyogasaint7 @ Oct 18 2007, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If we did do our own network I'd suggest using at least 2 servers with decent connections/UPS.
Yes. I would recommend three though. Why three you ask? Well, if someone/some people get pissed and decide to "surprise connection buttsechx" the servers, it is slightly harder for them to bog all the connections. *slightly*.. Unless they work at a data centre or somewhere else with absurd speeds/bandwidth.
Actually, perhaps change that from three to "as many stable dedicated servers on good connections as you can get your hands on".

As a victim of IRC server "surprise connection butsechx" back when I was running a server&IRCd linked with a couple others I can tell you that is is not remotely amusing or cool/fun.
And no, it was not out in the woods on dialup. It was on a high speed connection in the industrial area of the closest town to me.
Also, no, I did not download/seed torrents with it. It was not even hosting anything else.

As much as you might want to run your own network(control, fun, etc) it is not always practical and you are a target for script kiddies or losers who have more knowledge and access to one awesome or multiple good connections.
I am not saying you should toss the idea of running your own net out, just be careful. Seeing your server function flawlessly(locally) while your modem and router get raped is not what I would call fun.
**This user has left as of 2008.01.22**

#22 stefanovich

stefanovich
  • Staff
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 03:14 AM

Omg, gangraped by botnetz :P

Edited by stefanovich, 19 October 2007 - 03:14 AM.

#23 ben

ben
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 09:15 PM

Yes!, I definetly Agree on moving to another network having in mind that then more services will be available, and I support on MacPunk's point of netspliting wich really suck's so in my opinion lets move!

P.S. Undernet Sucks

Edited by ben, 20 October 2007 - 09:17 PM.

#24 jdisco

jdisco
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 02:34 PM

I totally support us moving.
Im sick of being K-lined on just about every Undernet server.

The netsplits though, fun/funny.

#25 MacJunky

MacJunky
  • Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE(jdisco @ Oct 21 2007, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im sick of being K-lined on just about every Undernet server.
... wtf do you do?

#26 oro

oro

Whoopin' Stick!

• V.I.P.
  • 837 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 12:07 AM

go
Posted Image
f34r t3h n1nj@

#27 jinxy

jinxy
  • V.I.P.
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 03:38 PM

Stewy and I are testing out other networks. If you'd like to drop by and offer suggestions, please visit:

irc.freenode.net #macshadows

and

irc.indymedia.org #macshadows

jinx.

Edited by jinxy, 22 October 2007 - 03:38 PM.

#28 stewy

stewy

• V.I.P.
  • 602 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 03:42 PM

I would vote for the irc.indymedia.org one, it seems nice, chanserv / nickserv etc..

I'm not a fan of freenode, because for one we were kicked off before, and they only give out hostmask cloaks to organizations who have registered with them.

Edited by stewy, 22 October 2007 - 03:43 PM.

#29 MacJunky

MacJunky
  • Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 05:36 PM

I would be fine with indymedia.
However, I must protest at the length of the name #macshadows (#MacShadows looks better btw).. (also #UGM is known and has history.)
Anyway #MS is obviously out, #MacSD looks like a rippoff of another channel, #MacSDW looks kind of strange and is somewhat awkward.
I really do not know. I suspect that I can not win this one.

*Edit

Why not #TSF? That is what the forums are called and that is where the users spend most of their time. Or is spratt going to brutally rape and then murder then rape again that name too? -_-
I must say, we have a bit of Apple influence going on here with the whole change stuff and forget the past thing. I am (sometimes) fine with not living in the past but you still have to remember it.

*Edit

Ok, fine I admit it. I am not ok with living in the present and will probably become more discontent with the future but that is beside the point!.

*Edit

How about #TSC? (The Shared Channel) after all it is an extension of The Shared Forums and the community shares the channel to share information. Just like they use The Shared Forums to share information.

Edited by MacJunky, 22 October 2007 - 05:57 PM.

#30 Zarkan

Zarkan
  • Staff
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 06:27 AM

#TSF looks good to me. I don't mind indymedia either.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users