First Annual #UGM Bot Contest

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 jinxy

jinxy
  • V.I.P.
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:44 PM

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to code a fully functional irc bot for #ugm.

Rules:

Must be original code
Must be open source

Code should be submitted and bot should be in #ugm by August 1st. The first week of August your bot will be judged by #ugm channel members. Final judging will be by #ugm ops.

Ops entering bots in the challenge are exempt from judging.

Have fun!

#2 spyyddir

spyyddir
  • Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:55 PM

I'm in.
Posted Image

#3 jinxy

jinxy
  • V.I.P.
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:42 PM

QUOTE(jinxy @ Jul 9 2007, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to code a fully functional irc bot for #ugm.

Rules:

Must be original code
Must be open source

Code should be submitted and bot should be in #ugm by August 1st. The first week of August your bot will be judged by #ugm channel members. Final judging will be by #ugm ops.

Ops entering bots in the challenge are exempt from judging.

Have fun!

To Clarify: You don't need to rewrite irc libraries and modules. No need to reinvent the wheel, however please don't submit a pimped out eggdrop.

Collaboration is encouraged.

#4 Macpunk

Macpunk
  • Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 11:57 PM

Ah, this might help me learn more about IRC. I've never coded an IRC bot before, or even anything that dealt the with protocol....this should be fun. I might join in. :)

--Macpunk

#5 stewy

stewy

• V.I.P.
  • 602 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 01:47 AM

Woo! I've been talking about it in IRC all day and I'm in =)

I believe spyyddir and I are going to work together on one bot.

#6 Macpunk

Macpunk
  • Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 03:10 AM

Cheatar! Does anyone have any good references on IRC bots? Like, for instance, what they are, et cetera? :P

--Macpunk

#7 Siph0n

Siph0n
  • V.I.P.
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 08:46 AM

QUOTE(Macpunk @ Jul 10 2007, 04:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cheatar! Does anyone have any good references on IRC bots? Like, for instance, what they are, et cetera? :P

--Macpunk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IRC_bot

Is a rose bush wrong in its thorny self-adornment? Is fire truly bad when it engulfs mere material in beautiful flame? So it is with Siph0n...

Click: Thar? Yes, right thar.

#8 halprin

halprin
  • Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:39 AM

And remember, this is being judged by the #UGM regulars themselves and ultimately the #UGM ops. So if you want to know what would be good for a #UGM bot, the best place to start asking questions would be the #UGM channel!
Posted Image

#9 jinxy

jinxy
  • V.I.P.
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 12:50 PM

QUOTE(halprin @ Jul 10 2007, 10:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And remember, this is being judged by the #UGM regulars themselves and ultimately the #UGM ops. So if you want to know what would be good for a #UGM bot, the best place to start asking questions would be the #UGM channel!

Well said, halprin. Hang out in the channel for more ideas. There's been lots of conversation about the challenge in #ugm.

#10 IsaacBrock_

IsaacBrock_
  • Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 01:08 AM

Reward?
Posted Image
"You know, when I used to get high, I'd watch nature programs on the Beeb. Polar bears are meant to be quite clever. Very clever. They're like the Einsteins of the bear community."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users