• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 superlukeyboy

superlukeyboy
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:41 AM

Hi,
I've got the password to join the network, i want to get the password to change the settings. Basically with the new Access Control features, my internet access turns off at 10pm and as you can imagine, it's very annoying.
The plan was to hack into the box and change the settings however if there is an easier option then let me know!

I occasionally have physical access to the computer of the person that controls the wireless but i had a look on Keychain Access and in Airport Utility but had no luck in finding out the password. Maybe there's another way? Logs or something?

Any help would be great, preferably a solution that will work if he finds out and changes the password.
Thanks

#2 hyogasaint7

hyogasaint7
  • V.I.P.
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 03:47 PM

Airports are pretty tight for security as they don't have an immediate webserver configuration like most home routers do. I'm sure there're scripts out there to try and brute the connection but being how the Airport is (low on RAM and likes to crash) that wouldn't get you very far. I say your best bet is to install a keylogger (I suggest LogKext) and reverse engineer the network admin to log in to the Airport utility. Say something like "It's dropping packets" or "Can you forward THIS port for me".

Good luck and I hope this helps you.
"Technological progress has merely provided us with more efficient means for going backwards." -- Aldous Huxley

#3 Redknight

Redknight
  • Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 01:03 AM

QUOTE(hyogasaint7 @ May 21 2007, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and reverse engineer the network admin to log in to the Airport utility. Say something like "It's dropping packets" or "Can you forward THIS port for me".

He means social engineer...

Do you have physical access to the airport extreme? You might want to keep resetting it :)
Kickin' it in France

#4 hyogasaint7

hyogasaint7
  • V.I.P.
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 06:42 AM

QUOTE(Redknight @ May 22 2007, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He means social engineer...

ROFL oops my mind was in other places apparently. :-p
"Technological progress has merely provided us with more efficient means for going backwards." -- Aldous Huxley

#5 Suddoo

Suddoo
  • Members
  • 609 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 06:44 AM

REMEMBER: reset router = reset password = password lists on the web ;)

I'm not sure though as to what it would do to your network though

*idea*

fully reset airport (look up on teh interweb)
tell admin that network fux0red
he will mend it
chances are he wont change from default airport password
log into airport (standard router crap applies i think: try: _http://192.168.0.1)

Theres alot of chance in it, but if you play your cards right, it should work :D

p.s. it may well still be on the default password: try
Usr: Admin
Pss: Guest

also, this may be usefull

Edited by Suddoo, 22 May 2007 - 07:02 AM.

Posted Image

#6 hyogasaint7

hyogasaint7
  • V.I.P.
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 06:57 AM

QUOTE(Suddoo @ May 22 2007, 06:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
REMEMBER: reset router = reset password = password lists on the web ;)

fully reset airport (look up on teh interweb)
tell admin that network fux0red
he will mend it
chances are he wont change from default airport password
... Chances are if he/she set the router login password once already he/she will set it again if you reset it. Also resetting it is a no-brainer to network admins that someone is trying to do something they shouldn't. Those little flash memory chips don't just randomly drop information..

QUOTE(Suddoo @ May 22 2007, 06:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
log into airport (standard router crap applies i think: try _http://127.0.0.1, or _http://192.168.0.1
Airports don't run a webserver as I previously stated...
Airports are pretty tight for security as they don't have an immediate webserver configuration like most home routers do.

Also why on earth would you tell him to try connecting to the router with "_http://127.0.0.1"? Fuck do you even know what localhost is... My lord.

#7 Redknight

Redknight
  • Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:05 AM

If you reset it and then configure it with the same SSID and password settings (if any) and so on, it will remain open without the admin noticing it (of course if you reset it when he's not around).

How often does anyone connect to its router to change something? Not frequently... he'll just figure it out next time he tries to connect to the airport extreme to change something... which might take weeks or even months.

He'll just see the network and connect to it as he always does without noticing things have changed.
Kickin' it in France

#8 Suddoo

Suddoo
  • Members
  • 609 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:05 AM

QUOTE(hyogasaint7 @ May 22 2007, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... Chances are if he/she set the router login password once already he/she will set it again if you reset it. Also resetting it is a no-brainer to network admins that someone is trying to do something they shouldn't. Those little flash memory chips don't just randomly drop information..

Well, 1.) There must be a way of resetting to factory
2.) *If* its a home lan/small network then the admin (his dad maybe) wouldnt bother changing it back: after all he has to reconfig the system :p

QUOTE(hyogasaint7 @ May 22 2007, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also why on earth would you tell him to try connecting to the router with "_http://127.0.0.1"? Fuck do you even know what localhost is... My lord.

Wups :) Changed back now - And yes, I do know what a localhost is thankyouverymuch ..
Posted Image

#9 superlukeyboy

superlukeyboy
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:31 AM

yes it is a home network and yes my dad is the controller. however he is a freelance apple technician so he knows his stuff and wouldn't be dumb enough to leave it on default. also, we have been having problems with our isp recently and it means he has to keep checking the base station so i couldnt reset the box and leave the password altered.
i need a method where i can find out the password, log in and change my setting. although if he were to find out and change the password again, id be able to easily and quickly get the new one.
i guess im going to have to use the key logger, is there a way to install it over ssh?
also, just a thought, but after i get the password, is there a way of setting up a back door or something on the base station? a way in which i can log in and bypass the password? i doubt there is but im hoping!
thanks everyone

#10 hyogasaint7

hyogasaint7
  • V.I.P.
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE(Suddoo @ May 22 2007, 07:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, 1.) There must be a way of resetting to factory
I said there was already... Just that the administrator would most likely notice it.

QUOTE(superlukeyboy @ May 22 2007, 07:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i guess im going to have to use the key logger, is there a way to install it over ssh?
also, just a thought, but after i get the password, is there a way of setting up a back door or something on the base station? a way in which i can log in and bypass the password? i doubt there is but im hoping!
thanks everyone
It's a package installer so I believe you will need physical access to the computer anyways. Also you will need an admin account to install it as well. If you don't have your fathers password you might want to look into booting it into SUM and using nicl to create an admin account for yourself. Click here for a good guide on doing this. As for the backdoor in the router you're shit out of luck. Apple had security in mind when building the Airport.

Good luck man! Asshole network admins suck ass.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users