Top 7 Reason the IRC channel blows

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#11 Nilkimas

Nilkimas
  • Staff
  • 808 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 02:03 PM

Well then. We should talk in peace, we want to improve it, not hurt it.
I'm sorry if I was a bit harsh.
|-------------------------| | _.-< nylki >//._.'\_____\STK/ |____________|

#12 speedviper02

speedviper02
  • Members
  • 606 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE(jinxy @ Nov 3 2006, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
IRC is a free service. The forums are a free service. You can choose to participate or not participate at your discretion, and I assure you, no one but you cares if you do or not. If you think either the forums or the channel could be better - offer some constructive criticism, or some ideas for how to make either better, but don't be a bitch about it.

1. Why would the management change?
2. Check the irc stats compared to the forum stats. There are more than 2 people from the forums active in the channel. Quite a few people who are active on the forums are also active in the channel.
3. Undernet isn't a server, it's a network. If the particular server you're using sucks, use a different one.
4. Who needs nickserv? I don't know if you're aware of this, but the individual letters of the alphabet can be combined in infinite ways. If someone swipes your nick...make a new one.
5. Lots of people are active. We have people from just about every timezone, hence, people are active at different times.
6. Yes, people talk about macs. And linux, and programming, and whatever else.
7. If you don't know who tweak is, you haven't been to the channel enough to form a "bi'st" opinion (I have no idea what that means).

</soapbox>

I hate when people bitch about free stuff.

I complain about free shit when the free shit can be imporved to super free shit with out costing money. I just think there is something wrong with the mangagment in there I have never gone in and was able to talk to some one without getting kicked.

QUOTE(Nilkimas @ Nov 3 2006, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I totally agree to jinxy and Spikelite! This channel is pretty active. I enjoy being there..
Just because you come once in a blue moon don't make the Channel bad. If you don't like the idea of IRC. thats ok. But please don't think your opinion is the only one, that count.
I want to add that also some people from the forums use other nicks on the IRC channel. (eg. Hyoga)..

yea 600post mofos

And about what you said, I am prob one of the most active ppl in IRC at this forum. I find just about every other IRC channel I am at 90% better because I am able to go in there and talk with out getting kicked or banned for 15mins. And plus the managment is not 12 years old.

I think last time I complained about the forum and had histarics it truly did improve greatly. (back when flaming was a prob siph0n =p )
____phyburn____
Posted Image
Please read Rules
Please help in contributing to the WIKI MSKB

#13 user

user
  • Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 08:27 PM

I go to the IRC every once and a while sometimes its pretty good and active and sometimes its just a silent place to fling insults at cobalt, i dont see any thing that is really all that wrong with it.

By the way im kerben on the irc not user.
Posted Image

#14 SemidiosVerdugos

SemidiosVerdugos
  • Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 08:56 PM

Not really sure what to say to this thread. Management??? Management doesn't make a channel good or bad. The users do.. So if you want more talk about Macs and such, then talk about Macs and such. And yes, there are people on IRC who don't use the forums much if at all, but they aren't on here bitching about everyone not being on IRC, and this is also not a problem of the "management". As to you getting kick and banned.. I can 't say I remember that happening, but i'm sure it did and here is why:
Nov 02 17:58:32 <tweak> muahaha I can assume the ident of anyone ^_^
Nov 02 17:58:44 --- tweak is now known as spratt_
Nov 02 17:59:33 <MacJunky_G4> until we compare your host address to that of the real users
Nov 02 17:59:33 --- spratt_ is now known as n3z0
Nov 02 18:00:08 <n3z0> !seen phyburn
Nov 02 18:00:10 <Coba1t> phyburn (~none@71.107.214.173) was last seen quitting from #UGM 13 days, 23 hours, 59 minutes ago stating (Ping timeout).
Nov 02 18:00:17 <n3z0> nah that wont work my friend
Nov 02 18:00:24 <n3z0> !seen speedviper02
Nov 02 18:00:26 <Coba1t> I found 19 matches to your query. Here are the 5 most recent (sorted): phyburn__ phyburn_ speedviper02 twat igay|speed. phyburn__ (~phyburn@pool-71-107-214-173.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net) was last seen quitting from #UGM 24 days, 19 hours, 46 minutes ago stating (Ping timeout).

You'll notice, that all of those are same person. And that persons IP comes right back to you speedviper. Had I been at my comp when you were doing that, you probably would have been kick again.

Oh yes, the comment of the management being younger than 10. Well I can say with perfect certainty that most of us are older than you. If not physically, maturity wise.

And last of all Tweak is a member of #ugm who dissappeared over a month ago, but should be back soon. Had you hung out at #ugm at all you would know who he is..
Si vis pacem, para bellum - If you want peace, prepare for the war.

#15 vaccine

vaccine

Forum Unix Geek/Co-Admin

• Members
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 12:53 AM

I agree with what jinxy said, and I have a couple things to add (since you are still bitching and not actually offering solutions);

1. We originally weren't on undernet, but we got politely asked to leave the network we were on. Since the few people setting up the channel at the time were familiar with undernet, we went there. No IRC network is perfect. There are splits, and lots of instability everywhere.

2. It has been brought to my attention that people with ops have been abusing their powers and if it continues they will be no longer welcome in the channel. They have been warned. However, keep in mind ops != management.

3. The undernet's choice of chanserv/nickserv isn't a very good reason for not liking the channel. There are ways around it as well. You can set up your own jupebot, pick a slightly different name, etc.

4. Many of the times you have been on the channel, you have talked to me in private message. If you always do that, there will never be any channel involvement.

We are always open for suggestions, if you have something you'd like to see, let us know. What would you like to see different? How can we make it better? I think we are all pretty aware of the problems, let's hear some solutions.

Obviously, like others have said, there's nobody forcing you to go there. If you can't find *any* redeeming qualities, there's no reason to keep bitching.
n=1; for i in 'treble' 'bass'; do echo $n for the $i; ((n++)); done

#16 speedviper02

speedviper02
  • Members
  • 606 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 04:55 AM

That is the biggest load of shit I have ever heard. If the managment blows then inturn users are going to get pissed "like myself."

And for not offering a solution I am starting by first bring the subject up. Ill I have to say is get some better managment in there. SOME ONE THAT POST ON THE FORUM. Someone that is actually contributing to the forum not whoever the fuck SemidiosVerdugos never even heard of you.

Edited by speedviper02, 04 November 2006 - 05:01 AM.

____phyburn____
Posted Image
Please read Rules
Please help in contributing to the WIKI MSKB

#17 SemidiosVerdugos

SemidiosVerdugos
  • Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 12:47 PM

So instead of saying "change the management" how about you say what changes would be good? I am still very unsure as to what good changing the management will do. Ops just sorta sit there, most of the time we aren't even op-ed unless there is a problem. we have no impact on the quality of speech in the channel. We don't set topics for people to strictly adhere to. We just let people talk, about whatever they want, with instant feedback, should anyone be active at the time. So PLEASE explain how new management would solve any problem.
And for the record I used to post on the forum. Quite a bit, before the site went down and we lost a lot of the data. But I got sick of all the "just google it" to me that doesn't help. I do think it has improved greatly of recent. And when I feel I can contribute I post. But I don't see the need to post just to post. I only post if I have something add.

You seem to have some unique ideas about what #ugm should be. How about you list them? Explain what you would like to see change in the channel in some way other than "the management sucks" and "no one from the forums is there".
Si vis pacem, para bellum - If you want peace, prepare for the war.

#18 user

user
  • Members
  • 548 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 02:37 PM

speedviper what problems are you having what is pissing you off? Management isn't the one responsible for no one talking, they don't have a magical button that says every one talk. What the fuck is it you want i read your ranting and all i see is people arent talking and management doesn't visit the forums, management cant force people to talk and who gives a shit if they visit the forums or not its IRC.

What has the management done to piss you off so much?
Posted Image

#19 Zarkan

Zarkan
  • Staff
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 03:12 PM

8. I'm not there.
Posted Image

#20 iMacThere4iAm

iMacThere4iAm
  • Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 03:37 PM

Who are 'The Management'?

Also, who's <10? I thought everyone was quite a bit older than that?
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users